Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Altered Card Box -- for Fitztown

Hello, and happy Thursday!  Fitztown  has a new challenge that started this week.  I'm honored to be guest designing for them again today.  This week's theme is an "altered item". One of my favorite things to alter are card boxes -- it's something I can have on hand and give as a gift, filled with handmade cards:


The box is 6 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 inches deep.  It will hold about 8 handmade cards with envelopes, depending on how embellished they are.  I inked the edges of the box with Tim Holtz Distress Stain in Tarnished Silver, then, using Mod Podge, attached Close To My Heart paper from the Lucy paper pack.  I used the Fitztown image, Garden 7 as the focal point, coloring the flowers to match the papers.  I used Copic markers to color the flowers.  I used a Spellbinders Gold label die in 2 sizes.  The flowers started out white, but I inked them to match the papers and added matching brads (flowers and brads from CTMH).  The rhinestone flourish is also from Close To My Heart.
Here's a view where you can see the box a bit better:

This is a great challenge -- it takes us out of our comfort zones a bit and does what it's supposed to -- challenges us!  I had a wonderful time with my altered card box for Fitztown!
I'd like to enter this in the following challenges:
Miram's Crafting blog -- containers
The Sailing Pineapple -- Anything but a card (limited to one entry)

6 comments:

  1. you did a lovely job on this box, julie. striking colors and that image is really wonderful, so full of summer! great job coloring...the watering can is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful box! LOVE the bold colors and the lovely image! Gorgeous work! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, love the green and orange combo. Thanks for joining us at The Sailing Pineapple :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orange is my favorite color, so this is right up my alley. Thanks so much for joining us at Miriam's Crafting Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great altered box - what a great gift! Thanks for joining us at The Sailing Pineapple this week!

    ReplyDelete